A MapWindow/DotSpatial desktop application and various plug-ins or Apps for execution of Area of Potential Influence (AoPI) modeling and mapping associated with CO2 deep geologic injection and sequestration.
The project includes analytic and semi-analytical mathematical models for defining a zone of influence of large scale injections of supercritical CO2 into deep saline aquifers. The zone of potential endangerment, known in the regulatory arena as the Area of Review (AoR), is understood to contain a pressure influence zone and the CO2 front due to CO2 injection. The critical pressure increase in the receiving zone would lift native brines up to an elevation associated with a potential or existing source of drinking water in the presence of a hypothetical conduit. Also, the AoR will contain the transport of CO2 away from the injection center and out of the injection zone, during and after the active life of the project. These phenomena are influenced by leakage and compromises of the sealing layers, such as presented by fractures, faults, and abandoned wells.
Users are able to select from a variety of model types, execute those models, and visualize the output results on a base map.
The project contains six reusable DotSpatial Apps which may be of interest to others developing with the DotSpatial libraries. These include:CO2 AoPI - CAMELOT App
- This App invokes the camelotpy or CAMELOT solvers (camelotpy
) that provide the numerical engines in the python language for three model implementations including Theis, Hantush_Jacob, Moench, and Zhou et al. (SingleLayer) solutions. CO2 AoPI - TTIM App
- This App is based on a transient version of the TimML (MultiLayer) analytic element python solver (http://www.bakkerhydro.org/
- Based on the API provided to DotSpatial by the BruTile project (http://brutile.codeplex.com/
), this App adds functionality to select from a number of existing background image services. Programmatically users can add their own services. The code includes classes facilitating connection to image services based on ESRI's Open GeoServices Rest Specification in other words nearly any ArcGIS Server image service.Contour App
- As a demonstration of calling CPython code importing SciPy and/or NumPy with the help of IronPython this App wraps Pyton's matplotlib library, specifically the contour algorithm using griddata with NCAR's natgrid toolkit for robust triangulation and interpolation (matplotlib contours
). The App allows the user to select any map layer with a vector based feature set and will either use a database field, the feature's Z values, or generate random elevations for every vertice in the feature set. D4EM DataManager App
- This App is a port of the MapWindow 4 DataManager which wraps functionality to retrieve EPA NHDPlus vector and raster layers for the basins intersecting the current view extent. The App also allows download of the EPA BASINS (BASINS
) datasets.Image Registration App
- Still in planning, this App would facilitate geo registering and warping or rubber sheeting graphic images to be added to the map. It is planned to use the GDAL C# wrappers for this purpose.